Episode 05: The Oprah of Adventure: Alison Teal & Her Plastic Pollution Mission
June 13, 2017
Adventure Filmmaker Alison Teal joins us from Hawaii after her morning surf with spinner dolphins. She shares stories of childhood travel, and how her life has been one big 'Alison Adventure.' She talks about her appointed title; The Oprah of Adventure, and why you don't need millions of followers to start something great.
HIGHLIGHTS From The Episode:
* Helping kids find hope and a little magic through Alison’s Adventures
* When Dad is a National Geographic photographer and Mom is a world-renown yoga instructor, you’re sure to be born on the floor of a Rocky Mountain cabin
* Earning her nickname as the Female Indiana Jones, Alison is on a globe-hopping quest to save our planet
* Get an invitation to Alison’s unique Hawaiian retreat where you’ll snorkel, surf, hula dance, explore volcanos and jump into waterfalls.
* Staying grounded and connected with nature, even in the entertainment business
* How Alison’s iconic pink surfboard bridges the cultural gap in remote areas
* Making your own Big Hairy Audacious Goal
* Our ocean has a plastic problem; changing daily behaviors to make a difference
* The Shamans are talking about water and our next World War, and we need to listen.
* Only 78 followers? No problem. Why you don’t need millions of followers to start something great
Krissy Montgomery joins us from brisk Tofino Canada as she’s immersed in her 9th year of the Queen of the Peak competition, an all female surf competition. Krissy shares how her heart has always tugged at the west coast, strategies for empowering women and children in an intimate community, and why Canadian women are overall badass. Krissy is a radiant light in a community of only 2000, infusing stoke and encouragement at a time when women need it most, and has no doubt been an ambassador and contributor to writing female surf culture in Canada.
Born in Monterey Bay and living the salty life in Sayulita Mexico, surfer and illustrator Robin Lanei shares how she finds humor in challenging or otherwise embarrassing moments. Learn how to create the life you’ve always wanted by elevating the gifts that come naturally to you. All of our individual life experiences, hiccups and struggles are interconnected; leverage your own story and confidently take center stage in your own theatre of life. Lastly, hear how Robin sets goals and seeks inspiration to bust through to the next level of limitless possibilities.
Born in Taiwan and raised in Canada, Sunny earned her degree in hospitality management, but swapped an ordinary job for a surf infused sustainable one instead. Surrounded by sea in the Maldives, she sacrificed a life of glamour and good hair for salty, sun kissed lips and sandy feet. Sunny and I have a frank discussion about mental health; the ups and downs of isolated island life, and how to find the courage to ask for help.